Thursday, September 16, 2010

What IS so good about Hamlet??

Well, what is so good about Hamlet?
According to the nice bloke who wrote http://www.pathguy.com/hamlet.htm, Hamlet is pretty awesome because it's the first play to discuss the toughtest questions in life. And it's so different because it leaves us with a sense that life is indeed worth living.
I will admit now I haven't read it, I haven't seen it, and that I'm overall really rather passionate about Shakespeare in an over the top kind of way.
So, actually, I know it's good because Shakespeare was a genius of EPIC proportions with stories that have applied to modern life throughout the ages and applies to modern life now. 
But what makes Hamlet apply to modern life?
He's young, confused, and his family life is a bit rubbish.  His dad is dead, his uncle got what was rightfully his, and his mum has married another bloke.  Children from anything other than the "nuclear family" can relate to something here, making Hamlet relevant, even though it was written several hundred years ago by an old bald guy who had affairs (Probably.  Let's not go into the whole conspiracy about Shakespeare now.  Whoever the hell Shakespeare was, my commendations go out to them).
Hamlet is also inspirational.  He goes from wanting himself dead (don't blame the guy) to loving being alive.  I'll put my hands up and say I don't know WHY, but he does, which is good :)
The message is one of HOPE.  Lovely hope.  We all need some hope going on.  If everyone was doom and gloom the whole time, we wouldn't have cheese in a tube.  It can only have taken a LOT of hope to sort THAT out.
So yeah.  Hamlet is great.  But I feel I should read it properly before getting to involved by saying how entirely awesome it is.  It feels a bit stupid doing this with no real knowledge of the thing I'm writing about.

1 comment:

  1. It might seeem odd to read about the play before you have read it but it helps to find out what others say and gives you a start on examining source material.

    Your enthusiams for Shakespeare comes across well.

    ReplyDelete